Sunday, November 07, 2010

Another skirmish in the gesture class

I struggled a lot in Gesture Class last week. Alex Woo was back leading the class & he encourages us to relate the pose to story.  Before putting pencil to paper think of a situation or character and let that inform the sketch.  It does affect the decisions you make while drawing and should make for more interesting poses.  However with 30secs-2mins I found it tricky to come up with a scenario AND get the pose down.  Everyone else made amazing sketches where the model was a ballerina or diving into a swimming pool.  I must work on this. I feel like I went backwards in my drawing but forwards in my thinking.




Towards the end of the session I started to get into the groove and work story ideas into the sketches rather than getting caught up in anatomy.

8 comments:

Daniel said...

Looks like you're doing just fine, though I'd love to see some of the work of the other members of your class. Know of any blogs I should check for that?

Matt Jones said...

It's funny, the others seem equally embarrassed by their own drawings as I am of mine! They don't post their results often but I think you can find older posts from gesture class on the blogs of Alex Woo, Grant Alexander maybe John Nevarez and Daniela Strijleva.

Scott Renk said...

sounds like a great exercise. Love your take on the levitating Buddha pose. Keep sharing!
$(@TT

Marcel said...

These posts really are good to see. I actually went to the lifedrawing classes in Bristol over the summer (after a two year break because of uni), and Will mentioned you on more than one occasion to me. I would've loved to chat to you about your work, so this is the next best thing!

Anonymous said...

It took me so long to get out of that habit of, not thinking before I draw. I used to be so impatient and rush my drawings. So cool to hear about your experiences Matt! Thanks for sharing! Pete

Unknown said...

almost 400 followers! needs to be celebrated, by the time I'll see you next in lovely SF, i won't be able to approach you with all these followers around you.

Matt Jones said...

400! Now I can start selling advertising space :)

Paul Tuller said...

wow, looks like a super active model - sweet studies!!